Monday, May 26, 2008

Snorkeling in Cozumel

Author's note: I have written a few email notes for the boys during this trip, but I thought I'd post this one. Also, Mexican keyboards are a bit different, so I can't promise that all punctuation will be correct! (not that I ever can)

Dear Jameson and Alex,
We still miss you very, very much! I hope that you enjoyed your 2.5 days of spoiling from Grandma and Grandpa Baker and are now moving on to spoiling from Baba and Papa. After all, this is kind of a vacation for you... a vacation away from Mom and Dad!


Last night was the wedding. It was on the beach, near sunset. The bride was beautiful, and everyone was happy to be there. I chuckled when I saw the food... Jameson would have loved the guacamole and beans and hot sauce, and Alex--you would have just barely tolerated the rice! We all enjoyed fancy drinks and dancing as well. After sunset, we could see so many stars!

Today I convinced Daddy to go snorkeling with me. Daddy isn't as fond of the water as I am, and he would have rather done more scootering around the island. After my little spill yesterday from the scooter, I'm not as fond of riding on it as I once was!

So, there we were, at a park (specially for snorkeling) and Daddy was showing me how to use the snorkeling gear. And here's where it got interesting. I THOUGHT I WASN'T GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO IT!! It felt so claustrophobic to breathe only through my mouth, and I was so worried about water splashing in. I was clinging to the side of the dock, thinking that maybe more scootering would have been a better choice.

But Daddy, chuckling at the irony, convinced me to go out just a little bit. And you know what, boys?? I did it! I swam out a few feet without panicking. And then I saw some of the fish, and I was hooked. Regardless of the minor panic feeling that still hung around (for about fifteen minutes or so), I just couldn{t believe how clearly you could see the fish! And soon, I found my rhythm and I adapted to breathing different. My world became only three things... the sound of my breathing, the water, and the fish.

Oh my, it was SOOO amazing. I didn't want to stop! There were SOOO many fish, all different colors, all different sizes, all different shapes. Daddy and I swam and swam and swam, looking at all the fish and the coral.

If we wouldn't have had to return the scooters by noon, I think I'd still be there.

Boys (Alex especially), I promise, I PROMISE, you that I will take you snorkeling. After Jameson is old enough to do this. Because it is just too amazing for words.

So, we are having a fantastic time, despite the bruises on my legs from my little fall yesterday, and the sunburn on my back (so painful that it is hard to sleep!), and the funny tan line on my face from the snorkel mask, we're having a fun time.

But that doesn't mean we don't miss you incredibly!! Be good boys for Baba and Papa!! See you soon.

Love, Mama

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Oh, Christine, I am so jealous -- Cozumel sounds awesome! We went snorkeling on our honeymoon in Hawaii. I remember well that feeling of claustrophobia followed by amazement!