Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let's just stay

Note: all pictures in this post are from my brother Mike and sister-in-law Jurate.


So as we drove away from the Edgewater Resort, Alex broke into tears.

“I DON’T WANT TO LEAVE!! WHY CAN’T WE JUST STAY HERE!”

And then, when that proved to be impossible, it was:”I WANT TO COME BACK HERE ON EVERY VACATION!!”

And I thought, I hear you Alex, this was a pretty good trip.



From his perspective, he had the attention of Grandma and Grandpa whenever he wanted it, and the attention of two sets of aunts and uncles. He got to sleep in the TOP BUNK and Benjamin slept in the bottom bunk. And Benjamin, now he was FUN. Aged four and full of adoration for Alex, these two were nearly inseparable.

And there were more perks… a playground across the street and a pool just up the road. A beautiful lake view with lots of boats. Mom and Dad being a bit more free with snacks and desserts and TV than normal (now THERE’S where the real fun is… this is a sugar-addicted, television-deprived boy). And there were sparklers on the Fourth of July and a dip in the hot-tub and the freedom to run from one rented cottage to the other. Not to mention outings everyday, many of which including throwing rocks in the lake. What’s not to love??

But I know this boy well, and I know that he throws himself into every place we go, getting so attached that he can’t ponder life in another location.

Like when he was three, and we spent 5 weeks in Montgomery, Alabama. Five very LONG weeks for the adults, where the three of us shared a very small efficiency room while I went through some Air Force training. But five very fun weeks for Alex, because he and Stefan spent their days fishing and golfing and swimming and finding playgrounds. When we left Alabama, Alex was CONVINCED that we needed to move there. Or at least visit there every chance we get. And remember, this was Montgomery, Alabama.

It was a little easier to understand, when he was four and we went to Northern California for a very rainy vacation. I mean, it was California, after all, with the beautiful coastline and fantastic forests. After that trip, Alex was determined to live there working part-time as an astronaut and a (no kidding) yurt builder when he grew up. California was a frequent topic of conversation for months following that trip.

Oh, but then there was our big summer trip last year. First, Gatlinburg was the most fun, then the beach, then Ocracoke… finally culminating in strong arguments as to reasons we should move to Rochester, New York, to live with his Lutzer cousins.

Yes, this boy loves to travel and find new places. And part of him always remains a bit attached to the last place. At least until we find the next new adventure.

As for me, when we pulled away from Edgewater, I was ready to keep on traveling. Desipte the hassles and struggles of traveling with young children, my one wish was to pointed the car off in a new direction, and go on exploring, for a month or two (or 5 or 6). Just riding, exploring, and throwing rocks into lakes and rivers with my favorite people.



No comments: