In fact, I've been rather tempted to do just that.
Fortunately, there are these crazy boys hanging around, keeping my priorities straight. It doesn't take long to see the bright, the funny, and the humorous in this household.
First of all, these two boys and their clothes.
Alex's friend looks ready to head to a board meeting, while Alex himself looks more likely to head out to boot camp--those are camouflage pants in addition to his camouflage head band. Is this a premonition of life to come? Is his friend destined to lead a Fortune 500 company while Alex uses his athletic talent to save the world?? (please Alex, choose the Air Force if you have to go into the military!)
Even better was their conversation. I was sitting in the family room for about 20 minutes, just listening to them talk and eat and talk some more. They forgot I was even there, and I had the pleasure of listening to eight year old boys in their element. Toys, music, Legos (and more legos), siblings, school... they were so honest and enthusiastic. These two are great buddies, and I'm so glad Alex has wondeful friends in his life. It isn't always easy being eight.
And then, there's that little guy in our house. I nearly fell on the floor laughing as I attempted to change his sheets this weekend. I know that he occasionally tries to sneak funny things into his bed; even as a baby I'd find him sleeping on his books. But this time the things I found were so incredible that I had to stop and take a picture:
To make it even better, most of these things were found in about 3 square feet. He has a whole twin bed, but uses only a fraction of it.
In order to try to encourage more peaceful slumber--how does one sleep with all that?--I have given him a spot for his "treasures" right next to his bed. He took to that idea with great enthusiasm and has been stuffing all sorts of things in his little compartment. I can't really blame him. It's the same night stand I used as a child and I loved hiding my treasures in there as well. Perhaps next week I'll do an inventory of that space.
I look with gratitude on these boys who fill my life with such joy, distracting me from the day to day struggles. Thanks, kiddos.
No comments:
Post a Comment