Sunday, February 10, 2008

February Fever

It's that time of year again.

The time when I seriously wonder.... why Michigan?? Couldn't I find a good job and a good neighborhood and two book clubs and all my favorite food stores plus character galore in... say, Costa Rica???



I guess I've just had too many mornings scraping my car (need a bigger garage, need a bigger garage) and too many times bundling and un-bundling the kids and too many runny noses and too much dry skin.


So it was time to call in the reinforcements. And go dancing.

The reinforcements... cheerful grandparents arrived from Ohio and swept away our oldest to stay at a hotel with them. And they did all sorts of crazy spoiling, like feeding him twizzlers before lunch and letting him eat sugary cereal. (Alex was thrilled beyond belief on all accounts) We went swimming twice--once at the chilly hotel pool (note to self: swimming in a cold indoor pool doesn't exactly help improve one's February mood) and once at the YMCA. I got a quick run in on a treadmill overlooking the YMCA pool. (What a way to enjoy your kids in the water---by watching them with two adoring grandparents while grooving to tunes on my iPOD.)


We also went dancing. Alex's school had a "sock hop" where each grade performed a dance from a different time period. Yes, I'm proud to say that Alex is now an expert at the Macarena... He was really nervous before the performance, so much so that he declared that he wasn't going to do it. (a glow stick proved to be excellent motivation). More importantly, there were push-pops to finagle from grandparents after the big performance.





Stefan and I took to the dance floor for a few songs as well. I just love dancing... and luckily Stefan humors my desire to get out onto nearly every dance floor we come across. Jameson was a little overwhelmed by the noise and the commotion, so I did most of my dancing with him in my arms. I can't say I minded this at all, holding my cute chubby guy while spinning and dancing. (Dad, send some pictures when you get a chance!)



While I can't say that the February mood has lifted entirely, it was a good break from the norm. I'm not quite so anxious to pack my bags and head south... although, in speaking to the Gods of the Weather, it really wouldn't hurt to just have a few nice days now and then!


No comments: