Alex drove down to Dayton, Ohio, with me this weekend for a family baby shower. It was a great trip---more on the shower and dinner in another post---but one of the best parts was having some "Serious Mama Time" with Alex, alone, without distractions.
For the first hour or two of each drive, we just talked. Or really, he talked. I love getting inside his head and understanding what he's thinking about, and what his concerns are. Some surprising things come out when I stop and listen.
Here are a few of them...
Here are a few of them...
On the topic of women:
Mama, I had so much fun at our Valentine's Day party at school. Except that none of the girls liked my Valentine. They were afraid of all the sharks on it. There are only three girls in my class that are my friends. Olivia, Gabby, and Abby.
On the topic of science:
Mama, did you know that, when you see a tree that is straight up and down, it is planted by people?
(this one really surprised me... where is he getting this? And how did most trees grow straight up for millions of year without human intervention?)
Snow is frozen water. Ice is frozen water too, (slight pause) only it is slippery.
Mama, did you know that we're in the wilderness right now? That's what you call it when there aren't any people around. You could also call it deserted. So if we're out in the middle of no where, and we're the only people around, it is deserted.
(this topic was revisited numerous times... I'm guessing it was a lesson at school)
Wow! That smoke stack over there looks just like the smoke trail from when the Challenger exploded!
(note: he's been watching some very "sciencey" NASA videos that describe, in details down to the millisecond, numerous different space missions... he's enthralled, although they are way too detailed and boring for me. I alternate between being proud that he's so focused and interested, and relieved that I don't have to watch them too!)
(note: he's been watching some very "sciencey" NASA videos that describe, in details down to the millisecond, numerous different space missions... he's enthralled, although they are way too detailed and boring for me. I alternate between being proud that he's so focused and interested, and relieved that I don't have to watch them too!)
Misc:
(on the trip down) Are we in Ohio yet?
(on the trip up) Are we in Michigan yet?
(on the trip up) Are we in Michigan yet?
(both questions repeated numerous times)
Mama, the strangest thing is happening in these pants. When I scoot back in my seat, my pants slip down.
Mama, I just loved the party last night. I had so much fun. I wish I was there right now. I told Grant that the next time we have a party like this, I'm going to bring Episode IV.
(Grant is a cousin of mine who is about Alex's age, and they totally hit it off on the Star Wars topic)
No comments:
Post a Comment