Monday, January 21, 2008

Of turtlenecks and tea



It’s been so bitter cold here. So cold. The type of cold that seaps in and takes a good hearty pot of tea to go away. Luckily, I had just visited the new Tea Haus store in Ann Arbor, so I was all set for making lots of tea. (by the way, all of those pictures were taken by Alex)

So we’ve been staying inside, and limiting our time outside to quick jaunts in the car. (except for Jameson, that is, who immediately goes running around the yard, avoiding the car or the house despite the cold, and only comes in kicking and screaming!)

These are the days I’m glad that we pay the big bucks to belong to the YMCA. I took both boys to the Y yesterday afternoon to meet up with a friend of Alex’s from kindergarten. It was great to have a big, light, warm space to be in. The boys appreciated all the time in the pool and thankfully tired themselves out.

Alex played games with Christopher, his buddy, while Jameson did his best to swim by himself. I’m alternately proud of his determination and scared of his fearlessness. It’s fine in the super-shallow area, but he’ll suddenly start running out deeper and deeper, until suddenly he’s sucked under and not able to stand back up. Yikes! So he keeps me alert. This is in sharp contrast to many of the other children his age, who cling to their parents!

Below is a picture of the boys enjoying my birthday treat of cream-cicles(cake and ice cream was too much trouble, we decided!).
Stefan and I had the pleasure of a night (and a morning!) away from the boys, when Jim and Gustie took them for a "sleep-over". We were thrilled--it was definitely the best birthday present anyone could have given me! And, so, Friday evening, with such an opportunity to connect as adults and talk about anything we wanted, as we shut the door behind the tornado of kids and bags and blankets and hats and other essentials, we looked at each other and said, "I need a nap!!".
That's parenthood for you!

No comments: