While we were out swimming this weekend, Stefan continued work started earlier in Alex’s bedroom. It was time (boy was it time!) to do a massive cleaning and organizing. And thank goodness (for me!) Stefan took this on. Last weekend they spent hours sorting his books, keeping some upstairs in his room, moving others downstairs, and still others selected for “downgrading” to Jameson or total elimination (donation to science center).
Alex had the difficult job of eliminating clutter, and letting some things go. He likes to collect things, and he has a phenomenal memory, so it is particularly painful for him to get rid of the silly little plastic fast food toys, or for instance, a map created on an airplane to Lithuania, made by Stefan on an unfolded paper bag. He remembered exactly what each item was, and which airplane we were on when it was created.
Alex had the difficult job of eliminating clutter, and letting some things go. He likes to collect things, and he has a phenomenal memory, so it is particularly painful for him to get rid of the silly little plastic fast food toys, or for instance, a map created on an airplane to Lithuania, made by Stefan on an unfolded paper bag. He remembered exactly what each item was, and which airplane we were on when it was created.
(okay, I admit, that after he sorted through the things to get rid of and the things to keep, I did a little "extra" sorting myself. I hope I'm not damaging his psychologically, but I figure what he doesn't know can't hurt him!)
But he’s learning important skills for life. You can’t keep everything, as I am so well aware. We keep trying to convince him that by ridding his room and his life of extra clutter, he has more space to play and more space for his beloved legos.
So it is a long process, and one I am going through myself as well, as I try to reduce as much clutter as possible. Because although it is hard to decide to get rid of a t-shirt (never worn) designed by some of my former cadets, it feels great to have more room and more space. Why do we hold on to so many things, anyway?
In the midst of all these organizing and de-cluttering and being shut inside, I've been doing more cleaning than usual. Enough to make my mother or mother-in-law proud!! I even wiped down all the kitchen cabinets! Wow!
I inspired Jameson to start doing his share around the house too!
No comments:
Post a Comment