Stefan and I slaved away on Saturday, making pierogies. This is a traditional Ukranian food (and maybe a few other ethnic origins too), and is essentially a boiled dough with a filling of some sort. My favorite filling was a cheesy-potato mix with onions, but for some reason Stefan and his family are convinced that vile sauerkraut is a good filling! Bizarre.
Anyhow, we worked for quite a long time on Saturday (we made too much of the fillings, apparently, so we just kept cranking them out) until we made TWO HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE of them.
But it was all for a good cause, because once we were seated outside, with family surrounding us, eating the wonderful pierogies and watching the kids bounce all over the yard, I’m not sure I could have imagined a better way to spend an afternoon.
But, then on to the more serious pursuits… the PRESENTS. He only had a few, which was just so perfect. Three presents, and then he was back in action. I thought this picture captured his delight...
A FIRE ENGINE PUZZLE! He doesn't realize that it's just a hand-me-down-toy, and with his sweet disposition he probably wouldn't even care. He was quite delighted to help Daddy set up the puzzle in the living room.
After our guests left, Alex was anxious to get to Target to spend his present of cash from Pop. He had been saving up for another BIG Lego set, and with the latest installment from Pop he was ready to go. Jameson went along for the ride, and Stefan indulged him in another gift. His excitement was so extreme---on the ride home, during the unpacking and untying---that it caused us to pause and realize that we have never bought him a NEW TOY! (I mean a little trinket here or there, but never anything that he picked out himself!)
Haha! I can't even look at this picture without smiling... the little curl of his hair, the frosting around his mouth (he had just devoured more frosting) and his expression. Apparently he has learned to say "CHEESE" when he have a camera out, so he came towards me with alarming speed, yelling the famous word.
No comments:
Post a Comment