Monday, June 23, 2008

STRAWBERRY PIE

I made a strawberry pie this weekend. (yes, Mom, I really did!)

I was inspired by all the delicious strawberries at the Farmer's Market, so I bought two quarts and looked through all our recipe books until I found what looked to be the right recipe. The crust took me two attempts (note to self: don't use the fake shortening from the health food store) but the end result was fantastic, if I do say so myself.


Alex was sleeping over at a friend's house, so Jameson was the only one around when we broke out the PIE. Stefan kept repeating lines from the Weeble and Bob skit, so much so that Jameson learned it too. (now, if Jameson hears the word pie, he starts telling "PIIIIE.... PIIIIE... PIIIIE" although he never actually ATE any of the pie, silly boy)


And here's the thing... after eating my piece and most of Jameson's, I had enough guilt that I decided to go running later that evening. And you know what?? It was one of my best runs in a long time. Clearly, the pie had someting to do with it.



But I needed to test this hypothesis more closely... so I had some yesterday afternoon and then went running again, and I had the same result! So obviously my strawberry pie is some sort of magical elixir for running, and I should eat it before EVERY run (or at least the next road race I enter). I'm sure Stefan wouldn't complain if I made pie all the time, although our doctor might not like it so much.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

kewl... now I know another menu item for J4 weekend!

Christine said...

Maybe if I cheat on the crust! That took so much time!

Unknown said...

crusts are hard... Jurat's fruit tart crusts have some strange combination of being cooked and frozen and then cooked again.... something like that!