Friday, June 27, 2008

Ramblings

So it's been a week of pouring (rather than raining) as there have been some major plumbing/sewer issues at the Ypsilanti rental property, and Stefan's car broke down. Fun times!

To lighten our load, my wonderful in-laws took the boys for a night--a very pleasant surprise! Stefan and I had dinner together in the midst of our comings and goings. It was so very different (a good different!) to prepare dinner without hungry boys descending on the kitchen.

That little one, for example, might spot a banana and start gasping out "BAAAAAA... BAAAAAA!!!" as if his little body will COLLAPSE if he doesn't have it immediately. And for the sake of finishing the salad, I give it to him, full well knowing that his appetite will be diminished. (oh well, a banana is healthy, right?) And the big one... he's munching on a bowl of raspberries, with his own method. He puts one on each finger, then holds up his hand while demanding my attention and says, "look Mama, at all the bruises on my finger!" and then only eats them after I make the appropriate response. (Bruises, where did you get all those bruises?? Haha, Mama, it's only raspberries) Because that never gets old. Never.

And, then, while eating dinner, we had a REAL conversation, a conversation without interruptions for the latest round of knock-knock jokes.

A: Knock-knock
Patient Parent: Who's there?
A: Interupting cow!
PP: Interupting cow, w-
A: MOOOOO
(insert incredible giggles here)

Or Jameson's version:
J: NA-NA
PP: Who's there?
J: MOOOOOO!
(insert even more giggles here, plus Alex whispering, Mama, he's not doing it right!! I know, I know, but just humor him while he learns...)

Because all of the above never gets old, either, when you are 6 or almost 2. Even after the 15th, 20th, 25th time.

So we had our dinner and our conversation and marvelled at the quiet, empty house. But the next day, I was very ready to see them again, and bask in their excitement when I picked them up.



Jameson, with his little chubby legs and cuddly body, sat himself down on my lap and was resistant to move until we left Jim and Gustie's house. Alex talked non-stop and showed me all sorts of great artwork. Happy boys, happy (but tired) grandparents, but even happier Mama.


Then later in the evening, when Stefan got home, Jameson attached himself to him, occasionally stopping everything to greet him again,


HIIII!


It's hard to describe this little greeting of his, which he can give multiple times over an hour (and then go a day or two without giving). His tone is angelically light, but also with a hint of surprise, as if to say, "my goodness, I didn't expect to find you here!"


And you know what? This really does make us smile, no matter how many times he does it. Because there seems to be a hidden message.


Hello, adult person, I'm so happy right here in this moment. I need to remind you to live in the moment and stop worrying about all of those adult things. I'm here, you're here, we're having a good time (or at least I am) so let's just be happy together, right now.


Or at least that's how it makes me feel, when he greets me with his little special "HI".

No comments: